The history of T-cruiser Tuulikki, which returned to the Ruissalo boatyard in the summer of 2018, is linked to an interesting tourism promotion project of the 1930s. In 1936, the Finnish Steamship Company, the Finnish Tourist Association and Åbo Båtvarf founded a company named Oy Cruising in Finland Ab. The mission of the company was to “acquire and supply sports boats, in particular to foreign tourists”, which were suitable for rental trips to the archipelago. The length of the T-cruiser was 11.8 meters and the beam was 2.65 meters. It had sleeping berths for five, a complete sets of tableware, a pantry, a toilet, and standing headroom in the cabin.
Interest in the new type of boat was greater than expected, as in 1937, a total of 14 of these cruisers were completed. In addition to the four built for tourists, five domestic clients and five English customers ordered the “Tourist cruiser”. Tuulikki was purchased by Manu Rainto and Viktor Wahlström. The latter became the sole owner in the 1950s.
Tuulikki was originally fitted with a 7/8 rig and a 3.5 hp auxiliary engine of the Pyrkijä brand. The engine selection is explained by the fact that Manu Rainto was the founder and owner of the Pyrkijä machine works. In the 1950s, the engine was replaced with a new two-cylinder Wickström. The rig was later changed to a full masthead solution. The yachts were of good quality and sturdily built. Bruno Westin, the technical director of the Turku boatyard, told Wahlström during construction that a tractor could drive over the cabin top without damage.
The Wahlströms used their boat actively, participating in the Gotland Runt offshore race and other regattas. Tuulikki remained in the Wahlström family until the 1980’s. Martti Mäkelä, Tuulikki’s owner from the 1990´s, has during the past two decades gradually performed a virtual complete renovation. Tuulikki is in mint condition today, and at the stately age of 80 years ready for another summer of sailing.
Length: 11.8 m
Water line: 8.0 m
Beam: 2.65 m
Sail area: 45 m2
Displacement 6.2 t
Year of construction: 1937
Designer: Jarl Lindblom
Original owners: M. Rainto and V. A. Wahlström
Original sail number: T-7
Current sail number: T-7